Today in class we worked with letters. We played a word scramble game where we used 14 letters to make different (small) words and then at the end we found out what the 14 letter word was. I liked this activity because we were able to see how many smaller words we could make out of a large word. Also, we made new words by slightly changing a letter or two from the previous word. At the end we put the words into smaller lists based on their similarities. This is a visual way to show kids slight differences in words.
We also started playing a game in LA today called Keys to Comprehension. This game was geared for children (probably upper elementary) and tested kids on their comprehension skills with context, order, conclusions, etc. Although we didn't spend too much time on this game I think students would like it and it would be a fun alternative to worksheets or paper and pencil practice. I would like to use this kind of game in my classroom if it was appropriate for what my students were learning in LA.
Yes, I agree! I think games are a great way to teach and reinforce concepts to students. I feel students will get more from playing games then do repetitive worksheets. I think the games we played today were a lot of fun. I know I enjoyed them! Haha. Also, I would want to use these games in my classroom. I think the games can provide motivation for the students to learn the concepts being taught. They can allow students to think more in depth about each topic as well.
ReplyDelete