Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Teaching GR Lesson - 10/6/10
Today we taught our GR lessons to our groups. I felt really prepared going into the lesson which was nice because sometimes I feel unsure about the quality of my lesson when I teach. I like how we taught the lesson in small groups, as they would be taught in an actual guided reading lesson. I liked getting to see and participate in some of the other lessons because I got a lot of great ideas from the other lessons I saw. I think it's important to learn from other people's lessons because it gives you ideas that you would have never thought of. I think my lesson went pretty well overall. I needed to refer to my notes a little because I had never done a guided reading lesson but overall I was able to do my lesson off the top of my head and build questions based on students responses to my questions and parts of the book. This was my first time doing a running record beside the ones we'd done in class to I had to refer to my notes for symbols, etc. but I feel with more practice I will become more familiar and it will eventually come natural (as will teaching GR lessons). I thought today's class was fun and went by quickly and I'm glad we got to practice GR by actually teaching a lesson (even if it was just to our peers).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, I thought today’s class was fun! I enjoyed practicing guided reading with our peers in order to get a handle on it. I think teaching in small groups was very beneficial. It gave everyone good feedback, plus it showed how other perspectives on teaching guided reading. I think it does take time and practice to master doing the running record forms. This was a good lesson to open up with in language arts because it was short and only focused on one concept. I thought this class flew by as well!
ReplyDelete