Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Guided Reading/Writing Research Project - 9/27/10

Today in class we went into further discussion about Guided Reading. We watched two videos with examples of guided reading lessons. I liked how the exampled used fiction and non-fiction books to show how to change your GR introductions based on the type of book. These videos helped me to see what a picture walk is, and gave me other examples of things to discuss with my students before having them read their book. I didn't know we could tell a summary of the book and go over vocab words the students may not know so this was helpful to me. After seeing these videos, I decided I may change my book because it is a folktale. The vocabulary in this book may be a little hard for 2nd and 3rd graders and my book is pretty long so I don't know if I would have time to discuss all these things in my 5-7 minute intro.
In class we also got together with our groups for our writing research project. I'm glad Dr. Poehner brought up this project again in class because I had completely forgotten about it and it is due in a few weeks. Our group is getting our information from Skye a former LHU student who is now teaching in Florida. She is sending us a packet of the information so we couldn't discuss much about the project but at least we know it is coming up and that we should be working on it as soon as we get the packet.

1 comment:

  1. In showing the guided reading process, I felt these videos were very beneficial. I think this gives us a good idea of what Dr. Poehner is looking for in our lessons. She both fiction and nonfiction text was great. I am also glad Dr. Poehner gave us time to get together in our writing group. I kind of forgot as well about the project so it was a good up date for things to come. We were able to divide up some parts for the project. I think we have some good ideas for the project!

    ReplyDelete