Wednesday, September 22, 2010

India - 9/20/10

Today we activated our prior knowledge and discussed what we knew about India. First we wrote individual lists, and then we shared our lists with our group members and compared what each person knew about India. Then we wrote a list about Indian culture, foods, entertainment, etc. While making our group lists we also walked around and looked at Indian artifacts such as books, spices, and jewelry.
I really liked this activity and I'm glad the topic was India because I love Indian food and I'm interested in India's culture and music as well. I babysat for an Indian family a few summers ago and every day the mom would cook delicious Indian meals and leave it for us to have for lunch. While making my individual list, I thought back to some of the things I had learned about India from my experiences with the family.
I think this is a fun experience for children to learn about different cultures, and although this could be a Social Studies lesson, it also worked as a Language Arts lesson because we were making lists and concept maps about India, and also given the opportunity to look at books to learn more about this country and their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment